To use python for coding, you need to download the set up for python. It is very easy to download and install python set up. Python is an open-source programming language which is readily available for different operating systems.
It might be possible that python is already installed on your computer. So, first of all, you need to check if the python set up is pre-installed.
Step 1: Open the command prompt.
Step 2: Type python.
- If python is installed in the system, the python interpreter will respond to the command and display the version number.
- If python is not present in your system, it will say the command is not recognised.
You can download any version of python for free by using this website - www.python.org. Python set up for different Operating Systems is available on this site including Windows, Linux/UNIX, Mac etc.
Here, we are going to download the latest version till date i.e python 3.7.1 for Windows 10.
Step 1: Follow the link to the website and click on the download button.
Step 2: If you get an option to "Download for Windows", click on Python 3.7.1 and the download will start.
Otherwise, select the option "Windows" present in the drop-down menu.
Step 3: You will find a long list of Python releases. Click on "Latest Python 3 Release - Python 3.7.1".
Step 4: Scroll down the page until you see a list of links to download under the heading "Files". Here, you have to click on "Windows x86 64 executable installer". As soon as you click on this link, an exe file will start to download on your system.
Step 5: Now, click open the downloaded file and select Run option.
Step 6: You will see a dialog box to install python. Do not forget to check the option "Add python 3.7 to path". Now, click on Install now.
Step 7: Close the dialog box after Successful installation.
How to open and work on Python
Let us now find out what we have downloaded.
Step 1: Click on the start button and look for python. You will get four options as shown in the image below.
Let us check all the options one by one.
- Click on "Python 3.7 (64 bit)". This is the Python command line. It is nothing but an interface between the user and the interpreter.
- Click on "IDLE (Python 3.7 64 bit)". This is the python shell which provides an IDE for Python and works just like the Python command line. It provides a more convenient approach and interactive environment for coding.
- The other 2 options provide detailed documentation of Python and its modules.